Skip to main content

ADHD Resources

*This is a fluid post*

A Collection of resources and hacks I've found helpful

I made my own "About Caroline" that I give to people I work with. It helps them understand me, how I work, what my brain is like, my strengths, and my biggest struggles.  I also keep adding to that list as I discover more about myself!  (Hot tip: Give this to your care providers, too! (Primary doctor, therapist, etc)

Facebook Groups/Pages

  1. ADHD for Smart Ass Women  
  2. The ADHD Gift
  3. The ADHDoers Community-ADHD Support for Ambitious People
  4. ADHD Entrepreneurs

TikTok: 

Just hugely hilarious and full of adhd stuff. 
Follow Ed Hallowell, he's the author of ADHD 2.0 and stuff

Apps/Programs/Software

  1. Calendly (automates when I'm available for meetings and allows people to schedule with me.)
  2. Airtable 
  3. Asana (with Gmail add on and Chrome extension for easy saving!)
  4. Dropbox automatic backups of phone/pictures
  5. Google Home minis/google assistant
  6. Brain Toss App
  7. YNAB (You Need a Budget) (Software/App to give dollars jobs BEFORE you spend)
  8. Focusmate  (And join the ADHD for SmartAss Women Focusmate Group!)
    1. FocusAlarm for Chrome Add-On: Makes a noise before session, last 10 min, etc. 
    2. Focusmate Link Combinator (to see all your peeps schedules at once!)
  9. Brain.FM (or other binural beats) App
  10. Mile IQ App for tracking/automating mileage
  11. Boomerang for Gmail (you can also PAUSE incoming email to prevent overwhelm!)
  12. LastPass password management 
  13. Time Timer Visual Timer
  14. Grammarly
  15. Clockify Time Tracker - synchs with asana, and also can work. I use this to track actual time it takes me to complete tasks.
  16. Chrometa (automatic computer time tracking)
  17. Thing.Do - helps you get started on a task with a 10 min timer to get going.
  18. Blocker tools:   heyfocus.com (Mac), getcoldturkey.com (PC), Offtime (Android), freedom.to (All), start it now.

Apps

  1. Turbo-scan (all in one place to collect ideas) App
  2. Podcast Addict (iPhone); Google Podcast (Android)
  3. Brain Toss App
  4. Mile IQ App for tracking/automating mileage
  5. Journey Journaling App ( I video journal)

"Professional Development" and "Conferenes"
  1. Video Journaling: This has been amazing for me. I can pop on the journal app, hit video record, and drive to work and talk to my app.  The bonus here is 1) I'm not looking at my phone and 2) I'm not tempted to scroll. I just talk to my app. I use the "Journey" app and there's also a web and desktop synch capabilities
  2. Carabiners (Keys, water bottles can be hooked on so I don't lose them; I put carabiners on everything and all my bags)
  3. Diaper Bag to carry everything in (lots of pockets! JuJuBe is my favorite brand:  YouTube Video on the bag)
  4. "I have one notebook" = Rocketbook notebook and a Tul Disc Notebook/Pages. (I bought a disc hole punch to make my own pages, converted my pocketbook pages into Disc pages, too.) 
    Essentially I carry ONE NOTEBOOK EVERYWHERE and if I need to write something down it goes in there.  I like the executive size best
  5. Profit First (Financial system /book for business) 
  6. Amazon 'subscribe and save' for things like cat litter, cat food, that have a predictable use pattern.
  7. Google calendar, multiple calendars. Live and Die by my g-cal.  Bonus: G-cal does reminders, tasks, and GOALS! 
  8. Turn off as many notifications, etc as possible on my phone
  9. I have a fit bit but I do not have any phone notifications on it. It is merely for using google assistant, setting timers, and tracking fitness.
  10. Google Home Minis everywhere 
  11. Filing: See-through document folders. 
    Clear  Color  Clear with Color border Color with  built in Tabs
    I use white post-it tabs and a label maker to label my document folders at the BOTTOM and store them in a drawer to reduce clutter.  If it's just something simple/temporary I'm holding, I don't label them. I use white post it tabs and a label maker with a default setting so everything is the same and there is less 'overwhelm' by different handwriting, look, colors, etc. Uniformity and bland is my friend for storage and organization. My preference is clear folders, too.  Also, the tabs are reusable if you peel the label off! 


If I have to struggle through it twice, build a system:
  1. AUTOMATE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
    1. IE: All Bills go on ONE credit card. That card gets paid once a month. Bam. Done.
    2. Checking account for auto-debits that can't go on the card. The fixed amount goes in that month. I know to 'refill' it each month to a specific amount to cover bills
    3. Checking account for CHECKS. If I write a check, it comes out of that account. Transfer money electronically to that account. If there's more than a $1 balance, there's an outstanding check. (no more overdrafts!)
    4. Recurring tasks, emails, etc in management systems
  2. Created a Packing Spreadsheet  (feel free to copy it and use it for yourself
  3. Create templates in Asana, Google Docs, Etc that can be easily copied and modified
  4. Calendly-specific meeting days and times of when I'm available. Always in my email signature for people to schedule. Blocks out 72 hours in advance so there are no surprise meetings. 

Books

  1. Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with ADD, Hallowell
  2. Smart but Scattered  (PDF Assessment Tool)
  3. The Art of Getting Things Done
  4. ADHD 2.0
  5. Lazy Genius 

Podcasts

  1. Faster than Normal
  2. ADHD for Smart ass women

Websites

  1. ADDitude
  2. CHADD.org
  3. https://www.adhdcoaches.org/ 

YouTube Channels

  1. How to ADHD

Other Life Hacks

  • Simple wardrobe of comfortable clothes that can be interchangeable; the mark Zuckerberg type signature look works for me. Leggings and a crew neck sweatshirt, or a branded t-shirt
  • I purchase the same brand t-shirt when I have ANYONE make me a t-shirt whether its logo for business or a cute shirt with a saying. I know they fit, they're comfortable, etc. I also do the same for workout shorts and leggings. Less sensory overload, esp if I can just order online and have it shipped to the house


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE truth, MY truth, and BELIEF

When you look at this picture, what do you see? Let me start out with how awesome this picture is. I'm standing on a roof, with this amazing sky, in my wedding dress, with the love of my life on the day I felt most beautiful.  Ever.  My hair was done professionally, my makeup was done professionally. I spent 4 years losing weight to be a healthy and active body.  My hometown is below us, where I am building a dream career.  My husband thinks my part of the picture looks kind of like a beach, with the surf receding off to the right...especially when the photo is in black in white. I'm holding handmade paper flowers, where some pages are pages from a book. Guys.  I CLIMBED ON A ROOF IN MY WEDDING DRESS.  WILLINGLY. I'm standing in the snow, and I can still feel the cold of the snow on my shoes. I remember the moment thinking of how sure I was in choosing a partner, that I was excited to be married and to build our partnership...and life, together.  It was the start

Dear Birth Mother on Mother's Day Weekend:

Dear Birth Mother on Mother’s Day Weekend:  Note: Trigger warning, a myriad of (necessary) emotions, and long <3 --- This weekend will be hard. Mother’s Day is always hard. There’s just no “amazingly awesome way!” to really celebrate the life you gave to the world: the child who is here because of you but isn’t here with you. It’s not really our day, but….it is. This otherness is such a weird place. I know….I live it. If this is your first weekend of Mother’s Day as a birth mother, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you’ve done this whole Mother’s Day weekend for a decade, or what feels like a lifetime, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you have other children at home that call you mom, this will be ridiculously difficult. It’s worse when people don’t acknowledge it, isn’t it? They think if they don’t mention the child you don’t have, it will somehow make it easier on you. They think they’re helping because they don’t want to add pain to your pain. They don’t get it… ….th

Retreat Reflection 2023

  Somewhere along the way, I’ve lost track. The moments that string together retreat to retreat have started to run from individual snapshots of memories into a blended, blurry image where a simple glance makes you feel the completeness of community, growth, and complete wholeness. . . Yet as all these moments churn together, they never fail to have an aftermath that is so memorable that it shocks me with its uniqueness each and every time.  It’s so routine I’ve come to expect the shock, but am always blown away by the freshness of it each time.  Always the same, and yet,  somehow….. . . somehow complete anew. It’s always in the Monday morning after, as I sit wide awake, as I sit in the stillness of the early morning hours– in the stillness of the quiet utter darkness that happens just as the night starts to lighten– that’s when it happens. . . My soul explodes.   . She overflows my heart and floods through every cell of my body, sometimes spilling from my eyes.   . . And the embodim