Skip to main content

Caroline Ritenour 101

Over the years I've learned a lot about myself

I always knew I was a gifted learner and now I have been diagnosed with ADHD.
(There's an actual term for this, too: Twice Exceptional!)

Now I know that my ADHD "hid" until my ability to create systems to help me thrive....imploded.
I'm realizing a lot of my struggles,  aren't really me not "trying hard enough" but more of how my brain is wired. Systems breaking down, or my brain not being INTERESTED in what I am doing.  Try prioritizing important tasks when there's something else interesting PULLING AT YOUR BRAIN...it's exhausting!

(ADHD'ers have an interest based nervous system... where most of the world has an importance based one...)
This is a 'best/worst' quality. In the right context, my "fast brain" -- ADHD impulsivity-wired brain -- helps me make some great business decisions and take risks that have had huge payouts (and sometimes failures), but it also comes with huge struggles especially with managing finances and maintaining a myriad of personal and business relationships. 

I also know great leaders communicate in a multitude of ways.  But...because I keep trying to accommodate other people...I kept struggling with my own success and systems to help me succeed.

Trying to accommodate everyone else was actually doing a disservice to those around me--I'd be super frustrated on the inside but trying to be amazing on the outside and it was a constant inner struggle.

Just like a person without an arm might request a work accommodation, or I tell my swimmers with special needs to advocate for what they need (Ie: "Hey coach, I was listening to you but I don't understand. Can you draw me a picture?") ...I had this epiphany one day that maybe I should advocate for the accommodations I need to be successful. That I was doing the people I was working with a disservice by not being direct with what I needed. ("Clear is Kind"-Brene Brown)  That...if I took a little time to explain who I was, how I was wired, and what I need to THRIVE that others would have a deeper understanding and/or patience with me as I grow.

So... I started creating a 'manifesto' of all things Caroline. What that turned into was a three-part infographic series.

After the series are my gallup strengths because I just love them and want to keep them housed in this post ;)

Also of Note:
Strategies I use to manage my ADHD
ADHD Resources
Enjoy!



All About Caroline









GALLUP STRENGTHS FINDER




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Birth Mother on Mother's Day Weekend:

Dear Birth Mother on Mother’s Day Weekend:  Note: Trigger warning, a myriad of (necessary) emotions, and long <3 --- This weekend will be hard. Mother’s Day is always hard. There’s just no “amazingly awesome way!” to really celebrate the life you gave to the world: the child who is here because of you but isn’t here with you. It’s not really our day, but….it is. This otherness is such a weird place. I know….I live it. If this is your first weekend of Mother’s Day as a birth mother, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you’ve done this whole Mother’s Day weekend for a decade, or what feels like a lifetime, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you have other children at home that call you mom, this will be ridiculously difficult. It’s worse when people don’t acknowledge it, isn’t it? They think if they don’t mention the child you don’t have, it will somehow make it easier on you. They think they’re helping because they don’t want to add pain to your pain. They don’t get it… ….th

Because

Because-  for the first time in her life she felt The world wasn't too much on her skin And as she was showing you how she is most alive Instead-  your discomfort of her experience seeped from your walls  Because-  she wrote and then she took a brave, deep breath as she peeled down the last of her walls And asked you if you wanted to hear the inner parts of her soul Instead- you said "No" Because-  while she was rediscovering the joy of mother earth The joy she hasn't felt since a mere child of 5 From the first memory she has of covering up herself lest she make a man lust As the crisp cool breeze touched her warm, damp skin; as she felt the cool evening grass between her toes as the fire warmed the inside of her thighs. Instead-  your discomfort escaped into the universe with a single word- weird. Because-  inside her soul felt connected to her skin, spilling out into the moonlight And although she trusts herself fully And she is newly raw And instead of welcoming he

Retreat Reflection 2023

  Somewhere along the way, I’ve lost track. The moments that string together retreat to retreat have started to run from individual snapshots of memories into a blended, blurry image where a simple glance makes you feel the completeness of community, growth, and complete wholeness. . . Yet as all these moments churn together, they never fail to have an aftermath that is so memorable that it shocks me with its uniqueness each and every time.  It’s so routine I’ve come to expect the shock, but am always blown away by the freshness of it each time.  Always the same, and yet,  somehow….. . . somehow complete anew. It’s always in the Monday morning after, as I sit wide awake, as I sit in the stillness of the early morning hours– in the stillness of the quiet utter darkness that happens just as the night starts to lighten– that’s when it happens. . . My soul explodes.   . She overflows my heart and floods through every cell of my body, sometimes spilling from my eyes.   . . And the embodim