Skip to main content

2012: Love, loss, beginnings, endings: Caroline.

In 2012 I loved and lost. 

This was the year that I gave birth to Abigail and relinquished her in an open adoption.  She belongs to Brooke and Todd, but she is loved by all.  I am so thankful every day that the adoption went as well as it did.  The feeling of love is sometimes overshadowed by the feeling of loss, but I know it will get better in time. I have the best adoptive parents that respect the space I need and let me cherish the moments I need as well.  Abigail will be getting a baby sister in February and I couldn't be more excited for them.

2012 was a year of beginnings and endings.  

This was the year I made the choice to end several friendships due to growth, chaos, or because the choices they made regarding my decision to place my child for adoption.   This was the year that I began a lifelong relationship with healing. 

This was the year I began surrounding myself again with people that were positive and would support me and my decisions.  I ended the relationships that didn't.  

I gained more weight than I thought was humanly possible and have began the journey of ending the baby weight. This was the year I got a PR on a triathlon 31 days after having a c-section, and discovered I could bench the bar with 45 lbs on both side.

Most importantly, this was the year that I ended the old Caroline.  She was fun, (boy was she FUN), but the new Caroline is much more thoughtful, loved, and most importantly, an ADULT.

In 2012 I stood up for myself and what I believed was right. 

I put another human's life and well being ahead of my own (and shame on anyone who speaks ill of me for doing so).  The pain I experience on a daily basis will NEVER supersede the life she has been given.  I told the world "it is OK to do this" and still continue to be an advocate for the open adoption process.  I am proud of myself for sticking to my guns and being open, honest, and up front about it.  No matter the pain, I am proud of my decision and my ability to stand up for myself again.  I have told other birthmothers that their decision is OK and to be proud of it.

In 2012 I proved to myself I was ok.
The adoption no longer feels like it defines who I am.  It is a part of me, it will always be a part of me, but it isn't ALL of me.  I have moved on and found love and true happiness.  I have spent less money, saved more money, drank less, read more, and have found a lot of joy in the smaller things in life.  I am ok.

And most importantly, In 2012 I showed the world that no matter how far I had fallen, I could pick myself up, dust myself off, and climb back up...higher than I ever had ever climbed before. 

And at the end of a year, that's what matters most.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE truth, MY truth, and BELIEF

When you look at this picture, what do you see? Let me start out with how awesome this picture is. I'm standing on a roof, with this amazing sky, in my wedding dress, with the love of my life on the day I felt most beautiful.  Ever.  My hair was done professionally, my makeup was done professionally. I spent 4 years losing weight to be a healthy and active body.  My hometown is below us, where I am building a dream career.  My husband thinks my part of the picture looks kind of like a beach, with the surf receding off to the right...especially when the photo is in black in white. I'm holding handmade paper flowers, where some pages are pages from a book. Guys.  I CLIMBED ON A ROOF IN MY WEDDING DRESS.  WILLINGLY. I'm standing in the snow, and I can still feel the cold of the snow on my shoes. I remember the moment thinking of how sure I was in choosing a partner, that I was excited to be married and to build our partnership...and life, together.  It was the start

Dear Birth Mother on Mother's Day Weekend:

Dear Birth Mother on Mother’s Day Weekend:  Note: Trigger warning, a myriad of (necessary) emotions, and long <3 --- This weekend will be hard. Mother’s Day is always hard. There’s just no “amazingly awesome way!” to really celebrate the life you gave to the world: the child who is here because of you but isn’t here with you. It’s not really our day, but….it is. This otherness is such a weird place. I know….I live it. If this is your first weekend of Mother’s Day as a birth mother, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you’ve done this whole Mother’s Day weekend for a decade, or what feels like a lifetime, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you have other children at home that call you mom, this will be ridiculously difficult. It’s worse when people don’t acknowledge it, isn’t it? They think if they don’t mention the child you don’t have, it will somehow make it easier on you. They think they’re helping because they don’t want to add pain to your pain. They don’t get it… ….th

Because

Because-  for the first time in her life she felt The world wasn't too much on her skin And as she was showing you how she is most alive Instead-  your discomfort of her experience seeped from your walls  Because-  she wrote and then she took a brave, deep breath as she peeled down the last of her walls And asked you if you wanted to hear the inner parts of her soul Instead- you said "No" Because-  while she was rediscovering the joy of mother earth The joy she hasn't felt since a mere child of 5 From the first memory she has of covering up herself lest she make a man lust As the crisp cool breeze touched her warm, damp skin; as she felt the cool evening grass between her toes as the fire warmed the inside of her thighs. Instead-  your discomfort escaped into the universe with a single word- weird. Because-  inside her soul felt connected to her skin, spilling out into the moonlight And although she trusts herself fully And she is newly raw And instead of welcoming he