Skip to main content

Food. A Love/Hate Relationship

It's a constant struggle for me to maintain a "trim" figure and healthy weight. Not only genetics, but I have an autoimmune disorder that makes gaining weight as easy as blinking, and losing weight is a constant ride on the struggle bus. Well, that and I love tacos and I REALLY love ice cream.
Somehow I picked up some really bad eating habits as a kid. Some of it came from being really involved in swimming and at the time "Carb loading" was a huge thing. I lived on and FOR pasta. I was ALWAYS hungry as a swimmer, and no one ever taught me to eat for my body type. We did a LOT of heavy eating at buffets. One time in HS I remember going out with my boyfriend to a buffet after swim practice and eating 6 plates of food...which was mostly starches, and thinking I could still eat more.
I don't remember a time in my youth when I didn't hide some kind of sweet food in my bedroom to binge on...I specifically remember the time I emptied dry cake mix into Tupperware and kept it hidden in my sock drawer and I'd make little "Cake mix snacks", mixing the dry powder and water in the bathroom with disposable cups. (I'm not joking, people.) I also remember the day my mom finally found it and I was on about my 8th box of cake mix. I don't know if all this is a learned behavior or something in my wiring. I LOVE fatty foods and salty foods. And if I could, I'd live on cheap white bread and butter. (Seriously).
Learning to forgive myself when I eat a cupcake I shouldn't is something I'm working on. Learning how to not turn an "oops" into with a week's worth of binging is something I'm working on.
Even though I struggle daily with food, I've lost more weight since this weight loss before/after picture I posted 3 years ago, but more importantly, I have KEPT IT OFF, gotten stronger, and am more in love with my body "AS-IS" each and every day. My weight may fluctuate day-to-day within 5 lbs (autoimmune stuff....Talk about frustrating!), and seasonally as well, but learning to love my body for the strength it has, has been a huge milestone in self-love and acceptance.
Crossfit has been an integral part of this transformation because the focus at CrossFit is GAINING instead of losing. I gain strength. As a result, I eat better, I sleep better, I feel better. It's a great cycle of progress and it works for me. It's not about struggling to lose weight, it's about growing as an athlete and as a human.
I think it's important for those of us that struggle with maintaining a healthy weight or those trying to lose weight to know that my weight loss journey is a yo-yo. I chart my weight daily and that graph is ALL OVER THE PLACE. Peaks, valleys, plateaus, it's all there. It's also important to know even the FITTEST athletes also see their weight fluctuate up and down based on training loads, etc. Gaining a few pounds (and even staying the same weight) doesn't mean you are failing.
Utilizing not only a scale but measuring inches and body fat has also been important. Often I would have seen myself as "failing" as I entered phases in this journey where I replaced fat loss with gaining muscle (often losing a ton of fat but gaining muscle so my weight went up) had I not measured just the scale. Another major overhaul with a dietary plan that I try to follow (at least, most days, anyway). Tracking my weight daily has also helped me, as it's not easy for me to see the weight gain creeping up if I don't monitor it daily, but I can see a pattern and realize I have to shift my lifestyle.
Having a supportive partner who understands my struggles, supports my dietary needs without question, and makes me whole sheet pans of delicious vegetables to keep me on track (and portions out my chocolate pudding) has also been integral.
As always, I share because I know I am not alone. Not sharing keeps it a secret which in turn brings about shame, and a struggle is NOT shameful. Nothing is wrong with you because you are struggling. The truth is we are all struggling with something, and no one has it all together. We are all human. It always takes an insane amount of bravery to say "Here I am, and I struggle with XXXX" but I believe if we all shared our struggles, we'd find a lot more people who say "ME TOO!" and then all of a sudden, life doesn't seem so damn hard.

Weight Loss from Summer 2014-Winter 2014.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Birth Mother on Mother's Day Weekend:

Dear Birth Mother on Mother’s Day Weekend:  Note: Trigger warning, a myriad of (necessary) emotions, and long <3 --- This weekend will be hard. Mother’s Day is always hard. There’s just no “amazingly awesome way!” to really celebrate the life you gave to the world: the child who is here because of you but isn’t here with you. It’s not really our day, but….it is. This otherness is such a weird place. I know….I live it. If this is your first weekend of Mother’s Day as a birth mother, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you’ve done this whole Mother’s Day weekend for a decade, or what feels like a lifetime, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you have other children at home that call you mom, this will be ridiculously difficult. It’s worse when people don’t acknowledge it, isn’t it? They think if they don’t mention the child you don’t have, it will somehow make it easier on you. They think they’re helping because they don’t want to add pain to your pain. They don’t get it… ….th

Because

Because-  for the first time in her life she felt The world wasn't too much on her skin And as she was showing you how she is most alive Instead-  your discomfort of her experience seeped from your walls  Because-  she wrote and then she took a brave, deep breath as she peeled down the last of her walls And asked you if you wanted to hear the inner parts of her soul Instead- you said "No" Because-  while she was rediscovering the joy of mother earth The joy she hasn't felt since a mere child of 5 From the first memory she has of covering up herself lest she make a man lust As the crisp cool breeze touched her warm, damp skin; as she felt the cool evening grass between her toes as the fire warmed the inside of her thighs. Instead-  your discomfort escaped into the universe with a single word- weird. Because-  inside her soul felt connected to her skin, spilling out into the moonlight And although she trusts herself fully And she is newly raw And instead of welcoming he

Retreat Reflection 2023

  Somewhere along the way, I’ve lost track. The moments that string together retreat to retreat have started to run from individual snapshots of memories into a blended, blurry image where a simple glance makes you feel the completeness of community, growth, and complete wholeness. . . Yet as all these moments churn together, they never fail to have an aftermath that is so memorable that it shocks me with its uniqueness each and every time.  It’s so routine I’ve come to expect the shock, but am always blown away by the freshness of it each time.  Always the same, and yet,  somehow….. . . somehow complete anew. It’s always in the Monday morning after, as I sit wide awake, as I sit in the stillness of the early morning hours– in the stillness of the quiet utter darkness that happens just as the night starts to lighten– that’s when it happens. . . My soul explodes.   . She overflows my heart and floods through every cell of my body, sometimes spilling from my eyes.   . . And the embodim