Skip to main content

"I am getting better at self-care, but why do I feel guilty when I do it?"


I proposed this question today to my therapist.  

First, and this is just my speculation.... I think women have this guilt complex and not men.  I'm guessing some men have it, but not like women.  And here's why: because women care. We care how we are perceived, received, and we want each and every person we interact with to know we care...whether or not that person is worthy of our caring.  We want to be liked, loved, respected. We feel obligated to be perfect/pretty/allthethings /...all the different hats we wear we are expected to excel at them

My therapist explained it like this: 
We feel guilt because we are the minority and have had to strive and maintain our position each and every day, every day, all the time.

[Yep-women are a minority, especially in the business world.]
So this is probably true for all minorities, too. But especially for us women.

And this guilt comes from a place where we have had to strive to get where we are.  And there is a fear or an idea that if I am not standing in that place of "all the things" that I have done and a fear if we're not always in that space we will lose ground.

It comes from a place/idea/belief that if I take time for myself, others will PERCEIVE me as selfish (women are the most selfless people I know).  

It comes from a place/idea/belief that I had to EARN MY RIGHT to be where I am today, so if I take a time out I can't maintain where I am. 
[We all know sometimes if we rest we actually perform better, but our fear that if we pause or stop we won't actually rise above drives us to that feeling of guilt]

I don't really have a conclusion. It's something I'm chewing on, and I don't have the answer to how do I get away from feeling guilty, but sometimes just knowing the WHY helps us get out of our own way/out of our head.


[Credit where credit is due]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Birth Mother on Mother's Day Weekend:

Dear Birth Mother on Mother’s Day Weekend:  Note: Trigger warning, a myriad of (necessary) emotions, and long <3 --- This weekend will be hard. Mother’s Day is always hard. There’s just no “amazingly awesome way!” to really celebrate the life you gave to the world: the child who is here because of you but isn’t here with you. It’s not really our day, but….it is. This otherness is such a weird place. I know….I live it. If this is your first weekend of Mother’s Day as a birth mother, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you’ve done this whole Mother’s Day weekend for a decade, or what feels like a lifetime, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you have other children at home that call you mom, this will be ridiculously difficult. It’s worse when people don’t acknowledge it, isn’t it? They think if they don’t mention the child you don’t have, it will somehow make it easier on you. They think they’re helping because they don’t want to add pain to your pain. They don’t get it… ….th

Because

Because-  for the first time in her life she felt The world wasn't too much on her skin And as she was showing you how she is most alive Instead-  your discomfort of her experience seeped from your walls  Because-  she wrote and then she took a brave, deep breath as she peeled down the last of her walls And asked you if you wanted to hear the inner parts of her soul Instead- you said "No" Because-  while she was rediscovering the joy of mother earth The joy she hasn't felt since a mere child of 5 From the first memory she has of covering up herself lest she make a man lust As the crisp cool breeze touched her warm, damp skin; as she felt the cool evening grass between her toes as the fire warmed the inside of her thighs. Instead-  your discomfort escaped into the universe with a single word- weird. Because-  inside her soul felt connected to her skin, spilling out into the moonlight And although she trusts herself fully And she is newly raw And instead of welcoming he

Retreat Reflection 2023

  Somewhere along the way, I’ve lost track. The moments that string together retreat to retreat have started to run from individual snapshots of memories into a blended, blurry image where a simple glance makes you feel the completeness of community, growth, and complete wholeness. . . Yet as all these moments churn together, they never fail to have an aftermath that is so memorable that it shocks me with its uniqueness each and every time.  It’s so routine I’ve come to expect the shock, but am always blown away by the freshness of it each time.  Always the same, and yet,  somehow….. . . somehow complete anew. It’s always in the Monday morning after, as I sit wide awake, as I sit in the stillness of the early morning hours– in the stillness of the quiet utter darkness that happens just as the night starts to lighten– that’s when it happens. . . My soul explodes.   . She overflows my heart and floods through every cell of my body, sometimes spilling from my eyes.   . . And the embodim