Skip to main content

The Case of the Missing Surface Pro Pen

In Today's Episode of "Another Moment inside Caroline's Brain" we examine losing a Surface Pro Pen


With ADHD, we are constantly trying to exist in a world that does not work for our brains.  It's exhausting sometimes.  Nothing exists to work for you.  The world wants you to behave and navigate a specific way.  

There are things that I just don't do because I just can't. But there are things we have to do-like laundry and pay bills and get the work done, that means we have to hack and hack and hack, just to do the thing. To get the thing started.

Our brains are exhausted just from navigating day-to-day life.

I AM SO TIRED.

---

Just once in my life, I would like to not have to modify something in the world so it would just work with my brain.

( I literally said this to my therapist yesterday. And by said, I mean screamed passionately over HIPPA video call...followed by sighed, "at least I have the ability to create systems...but STILL.....") 

The Case of the Missing Surface Pro Pen:

I'm a Chromebook/google gal, and I love the way the stylus slides into the case and locks. It has a home. I use it, put it back. It belongs somewhere.

I just bought a surface pro.  Time to upgrade to something with some juice. Yeah, baby!!

I'm pretty stoked to get a decent computer and not have to slow down my workflow while waiting for my computer to catch up to my brain speed.

However, the surface pro does not come with a built-in stylus "home" like a Chromebook.  The stylus is magnetic though, so it sticks to your tablet and you won't lose it. (That's what the salesperson told me, anyway...my adhd brain said "hahahahahha".) 

I bought the one with the keyboard with the pen that fits inside the keyboard because I KNEW I would lose a pen that didn't have a designated home.  Of course, it costs more.

But I know myself and I know my brain.  Replacing the pen 10x will cost me more in the long run than the initial cost of this small upgrade.

So I bought the more expensive keyboard that has a designated home for the pen built into the keyboard. 

(Side note: This is referred to the "ADHD Tax"--its the cost of navigating the world with ADHD. You buy 15 chargers so they all live in designated areas and you don't move them and lose them. You have to take a picture of the document and also email it to yourself and then mail it to yourself so you don't lose it...stuff like that....)

I was SO excited. I have this sleek, beautiful new computer with a digital pen/stylus. The keyboard is black. The pen is black. It looks amazing, classy, and grown-up.  

I open up my surface pro.
I set up the keyboard. 
I put the pen where it goes.
I do some things on the computer.
I use the pen. 
I put the pen back in its home.
I do some more work.
I get up and do some things. 
I decide to pack up the new surface pro and get to the office. 
I spot-check for all the things.  
Mouse? Check. Back in its zippy pouch where it lives. Back in my work bag.
Close the surface pro. Is the pen in there?
No. The pen is gone.


I lost the f'ing pen.
No, I'm not kidding.
(I wish I was making this up.)
I looked for 20 minutes. 
Everywhere. 

Couch cushions off the couch, the whole works. 
I'm in tears. 

How do I lose something like this? I am extra careful to make sure I put things back where they belong so I don't lose the thing. 

You know where it was? 

In the holder. 

On the keyboard.

I put it away.

Where it belongs.


My brain just didn't 'SEE' it. 
(I seriously think the 🤦🏻‍♀️ emoji is an adhd persons #1 emoji)

Do you know why I lost the pen?

Because it was black, and the keyboard is black. 

And my brain, when looking for the pen, glanced at it over and over and didn't see it.
On the left: My pen with washi tape in its home.  Top right: pen without washi tape, in its home, invisible to the ADHD eye.
Bottom right: closeup of the washi tape solution.

---

So this morning I hacked my pen. It now has yellow washi tape around the top.

It may not seem like a big deal to an NT brain, but it is a big deal to an ND brain. An NT person would be like "no big deal. put the washi tape on it and move on." Or, even more likely "just don't lose the pen". 

But it's a big deal for us ADHD'ers. 
Because this is not a one-time incident.
This is us. 
Everyday. 
Every minute.
All. The. Time.

Our brains are exhausted just trying to function and do the thing.

My adhd tax cost me $100 in a fancier keyboard, plus 30-60 minutes of my time...to find the pen, do the washi tape, and write this post. (I talk/write to process)

People don't see it because I come across as "put together" but they don't see what happens behind the scenes so I don't lose the thing, so I show up on time, I am prepared for the meeting, and I meet the deadline. The work it takes to take random thoughts in a business pitch and put it into a cohesive, linear, presentation for the world.  

I'm tired.
My brain is tired.
My underwear is probably on inside out, but hey, I remembered to put underwear on this morning. So that's a win.


My ADHD Tax today...$100 in better keyboard, 60 minutes of time @ $2 per minute,
Total Cost $360



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE truth, MY truth, and BELIEF

When you look at this picture, what do you see? Let me start out with how awesome this picture is. I'm standing on a roof, with this amazing sky, in my wedding dress, with the love of my life on the day I felt most beautiful.  Ever.  My hair was done professionally, my makeup was done professionally. I spent 4 years losing weight to be a healthy and active body.  My hometown is below us, where I am building a dream career.  My husband thinks my part of the picture looks kind of like a beach, with the surf receding off to the right...especially when the photo is in black in white. I'm holding handmade paper flowers, where some pages are pages from a book. Guys.  I CLIMBED ON A ROOF IN MY WEDDING DRESS.  WILLINGLY. I'm standing in the snow, and I can still feel the cold of the snow on my shoes. I remember the moment thinking of how sure I was in choosing a partner, that I was excited to be married and to build our partnership...and life, together.  It was the start

Dear Birth Mother on Mother's Day Weekend:

Dear Birth Mother on Mother’s Day Weekend:  Note: Trigger warning, a myriad of (necessary) emotions, and long <3 --- This weekend will be hard. Mother’s Day is always hard. There’s just no “amazingly awesome way!” to really celebrate the life you gave to the world: the child who is here because of you but isn’t here with you. It’s not really our day, but….it is. This otherness is such a weird place. I know….I live it. If this is your first weekend of Mother’s Day as a birth mother, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you’ve done this whole Mother’s Day weekend for a decade, or what feels like a lifetime, this will be ridiculously difficult. If you have other children at home that call you mom, this will be ridiculously difficult. It’s worse when people don’t acknowledge it, isn’t it? They think if they don’t mention the child you don’t have, it will somehow make it easier on you. They think they’re helping because they don’t want to add pain to your pain. They don’t get it… ….th

Because

Because-  for the first time in her life she felt The world wasn't too much on her skin And as she was showing you how she is most alive Instead-  your discomfort of her experience seeped from your walls  Because-  she wrote and then she took a brave, deep breath as she peeled down the last of her walls And asked you if you wanted to hear the inner parts of her soul Instead- you said "No" Because-  while she was rediscovering the joy of mother earth The joy she hasn't felt since a mere child of 5 From the first memory she has of covering up herself lest she make a man lust As the crisp cool breeze touched her warm, damp skin; as she felt the cool evening grass between her toes as the fire warmed the inside of her thighs. Instead-  your discomfort escaped into the universe with a single word- weird. Because-  inside her soul felt connected to her skin, spilling out into the moonlight And although she trusts herself fully And she is newly raw And instead of welcoming he